Work for us
Global Investment means it has never been a better time to join us here at Smiths!
Competitive packages on offer, including generous pension contribution, healthcare plan, high street discounts, life insurance & long service awards to name a few.
Overall Purpose of the Role
To own and manage all aspects of programme management activities including facilitating full involvement and buy in from all stakeholders. Provide the clarity in communication across all functions such that the customer is always fully informed and any areas of ambiguity are resolved in a timely manner.
The Program Manager will possess the ability to solve problems and simplify complex situations. Must be able to communicate across the organisation and have confident presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Provide technical support including drawing assessments and materials knowledge to business development and customer services with respect to new bids/RFQ’s
- Overall responsibility for New Product Introduction (NPI) and major modification programmes; applying Smiths’ Gate Process to deliver NPI on time to schedule
- Provide the framework for day to day management of programmes including monitoring and reporting
- Principle point of contact for suppliers & the customer, ensuring all internal parties are on plan, aware of the requirements, timescales, budgets and deliverables
- Generation and upkeep of programme schedules; to follow Smith’s Gate Process for NPI, inclusive of all aspects of supply chain, production, quality and inspection readiness
- Liaise with and support suppliers & customers with their technical requirements whilst assisting with commercial matters
- Manage programme costs within budget, for each programme given
- Support the business development function as required and ensure the customer has confidence in Smith’s ability to deliver a technically superior solution on time
- Work as part of the management team to drive improved performance, customer awareness and overall growth
- Apply excellence in planning, organising, analysis, decision making, timeliness and clear communication throughout the execution of any programme activity
– Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a similar role in a manufacturing environment
-Knowledge and experience of aerospace processes including PPAP, APQP & AS9100
– Demonstrated experience of implementing and embedding project management process and procedures
– Demonstrated experience of understanding and applying business case and risk management processes
– Experience of deploying physical and financial resources to meet project milestones
– Experience of budgeting and resource allocation
– Stakeholder management experience
– Experience of Quality management principle
CNC Miller/Turner Setter Operator (Days or Nights Available)
We are looking for a person who can work under their own initiative and understands the importance of tractability and paperwork with the following skills;
- Able to work within time frames.
- Follows procedures.
- Maintains a safe working environment.
- Conversant in reading engineering drawings.
- Conversant with programming and understanding of programmers.
- CNC experience, 3 to 5 axis machining.
- Able to work to tight tolerances.
- Understand Inspection technique’s and Inspection methods, use of manual Inspection equipment i.e. Micrometers, internal bore micrometers, depth micrometers, verniers…
Main duties include but are not limited to small to medium batch work and some one offs.
We are looking for a team player who is a positive communicator with a ‘can do’ attitude and a continuous improvement mentality as well as a flexible attitude towards work. Ability to work autonomously and under own initiative when required. The Job holder will have served a recognised mechanical apprenticeship or equivalent. Electrical or plumbing certificate would be advantageous.
Overall Purpose/Objectives of Role
To support the upkeep and maintenance of specialist production equipment and machinery. This position will require you to work as part of a maintenance team, bringing with you the skills that complement the daily mechanical and electrical functions of the team, ensuring performance targets are met and operational efficiency is maximised.
- Diagnosing faults, breakdown problems, troubleshooting all CNC and manual machinery and equipment
- Utilisation of the appropriate tools required to complete each task such as a lathe, milling machine, surface grinder and power tools
- Support forth Planned Preventative Maintenance System
- Commission modifications and alterations to existing plant and equipment, to improve line efficiencies
- Undertake nominated Health & Safety responsibility’s
- Ad hoc tasks as required by the Maintenance Manager
Experience of working in a manufacturing industry would be an advantage.
Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
We are looking for a person who is either a Quality Engineer in a larger business looking for progression and growth within a smaller business (currently we have around 70 employees) or a Senior Quality Engineer who can see the potential for growth within the business. Experience with in the aerospace industry is a must.
Overall Purpose/Objectives of Role
To assist the Quality Manager in effective quality management of our quality system functions and continual improvement initiatives. The role is central to effective internal / external customer support on non-conforming process management and is also expected to provide direction to Quality Engineer role in all areas of the quality engineering functions and liaison with all internal & external stakeholders.
- Carry out Quality System Process Audits accordingly of AS9100 Rev C/ (D) and assist management of internal / external audit schedule.
- Maintain Calibration System / recall process and supplier engagement.
- Manage key customer non-conformance / portals / liaison with Production on customer approved rework solutions / liaison with accounts on required credits and quarantine store management.
- Provide required focal point on FMEA, PFMEA’s where required.
- Prepare control plans / Inspection plans where required. Provide detailed feedback to operations to help achieve 100% OTD to the customer.
- Create F.A.I.R.’s accordingly of applicable product requirements / DVI completion in line with customer / AS9102 requirements.
- Manage ‘White Card System’ / Concession System Tracking and provide RCCA Management to 8D where required in sustainable quality improvement which will require weekly reports to senior management.
- Perform Supplier Quality Assurance & maintain Approved Supplier List when required.
- Perform Gauge R & R / SPC when required
Please call Nichola on 01279 780386 for an informal chat about any of the roles advertised or alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org
Here at Smiths we are always on the look out for new talent, if you are looking into studying Engineering at any level why not give us a call to see how we could help you!